Thursday, March 24, 2016

846. Romper Stomper

Romper Stomper
1992
Directed by Geoffrey Wright







If all the characters in a film morally repulse you, is it still possible to enjoy the movie?  I am thinking yes, but I am not entirely sure that this film proves that theory.

Hando is the leader of a violent gang of neo-Nazis.  His gang mostly targets the Vietnamese, although I am sure they hate all non whites equally (they are fair like that).  Hando begins a romantic relationship with Gabrielle, the daughter of the an abusive, wealthy man.  The gang discovers that their favorite pub has been sold to a Vietnamese family and they...retaliate, I guess.  I miss the days when rumbles in movies consisted of pirouettes and yelling "POW!"

So obviously, the majority of characters in this film are garbage, which means I didn't really care about what happened to them.  I suppose the movie is effective in exposing the audience to racism and illustrating how ugly it is.  But um...I already kind of knew that.  Hopefully you did too.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Daniel Pollock (Davy) committed suicide before the film was released.

No comments:

Post a Comment