Wednesday, March 23, 2016

842. La double vie de Véronique

La double vie de Veronique
The Double Life of Veronique
1991
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski






I have been writing since I woke up this morning but decided to take a short break to watch this film.  Because, obviously, I don't make enough time to watch movies.  This was, surprisingly, quite enjoyable.  I say surprisingly because I wasn't overly impressed with Dekalog Jeden.  Fortunately, Kieslowski redeemed himself with this film and I am now looking forward to The Three Colors.

Weronika, a pretty Polish woman, has a beautiful soprano voice and dreams of singing in concerts.  Meanwhile, her doppelgänger Veronique works as a music teacher in France.  Veronique begins to realize that she might have a connection to an unknown person, meeting a mysterious (and handsome) stranger in the process.

I know that summary was a bit vague, but I am not sure what was intended to be straightforward, and what was intended to be a plot twist.  I actually didn't realize we were dealing with doubles at first; I thought that Weronika was just bilingual.  Let's all take a moment of silence to marvel at my daftness.

In any case, this film is gorgeous.  The cinematography really has an other worldly quality that is stunning to watch.  Actually everything about this film seems ethereal, from the cast to the scary marionette dolls.  It is also a pretty fascinating concept; the idea that we could be living virtually the same life as someone else, sharing the thoughts, emotions, and dreams of a complete stranger.  Thankfully, I already know that my doppelgänger is my sister; everyone thinks we are twins.

A very enjoyable way to procrastinate writing.  Back to the salt mines...

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Andie MacDowell was Kieslowski's first choice to play Veronique.

No comments:

Post a Comment