Wednesday, March 16, 2016

826. Once Upon a Time in China

Once Upon a Time in China
1991
Directed by Tsui Hark







I am becoming quite predictable in my reviews.  I like anything with kung fu in it and despise anything with gratuitous sexual violence.  That's going on my tombstone.

Basically, the film tells the story of professional bad ass Wong Fei-Hung, a martial arts expert who stood up against foreign forces during the Qing Dynasty, when China was getting royally screwed over by Western powers.

We all know the plot isn't that important in kung fu movies, but I was quite pleased with the story in this one.  For one thing, the Qing Dynasty is the period of Chinese history I am most familiar with, so I had enough context to really enjoy it.  It was also fascinating watching the human body overpower Western technology and weapons.  The bullet flicking move was one of the coolest things I have seen in a kung fu movie (sorry Jackie Chan).

I think this one has a bit more to say than the typical kung fu movie and is therefore worth a watch, even if this genre isn't your thing.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Jet Li's voice was dubbed in post production, as he couldn't speak Cantonese.

No comments:

Post a Comment