Wednesday, March 9, 2016

811. Beiqing Chengshi

Beiqing Chengshi
A City of Sadness
1989
Directed by Hou Hsiao-Hsien








The previous Hsiao-Hsien film on the List was A Time To Live, A Time To Die.  It was quite boring to sit through, although at least I had some idea what was happening on screen.  I will blame the age old scapegoat for my stupidity and confusion: the subtitles.

The film kind of feels like a history lesson, attempted to be related in an entertaining way.  As I don't feel like writing an essay on White Terror, I won't go into too much detail.  Basically, the movie tells the story of a Taiwanese family during the period of White Terror which followed the February 28 massacre.  If you don't have a useless Asian history minor like me, that sentence will require some googling.  I don't know what I am bragging about, though, because I still had no idea what was going on.

So yes, I got bored fairly quickly as I realized right away I was lost and the subtitles weren't going to help clear up my confusion.  It did look beautiful at least. I feel like I just sat through a two and a half hour lecture.  Informative?  Perhaps.  Entertaining?  Not at all.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

First Taiwanese film to be shot in direct sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment