Thursday, March 17, 2016

827. Boyz in the Hood

Boyz in the Hood
1991
Directed by John Singleton









I really struggled to write my Do The Right Thing review, as I was trying to balance the importance of the film with the fact that I just didn't enjoy it that much.  This, coupled with my white guilt, made the review rough to get through, and I fear we have the same problem on our hands with this one.

Basically, three young men, Tre, Doughboy, and Ricky, live in the Crenshaw ghetto of Los Angeles.  While Tre struggles to maintain an identity outside of the ghetto, Doughboy and Ricky find themselves unable to escape violent gang life.

There is a fantastic cast here and I am not just saying that because of my everlasting crush on Morris Chestnut.  There is real talent here; it makes me want to check out more of Ice Cube's work.  Still, it is a rather predictable plot arc, so I can't honestly say I fully enjoyed my time with this one.  I did find the characters interesting; the racist black cop in particular stood out to me as a point of view we don't often see.

So worth a watch, but don't expect any surprises.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Will Smith turned down the role of Tre, as he was committed to working on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

No comments:

Post a Comment