Thursday, March 24, 2016

844. The Player

The Player
1992
Directed by Robert Altman








I kind of hate both Robert Altman (for MASH) and Michael Tolkin (for The Rapture).  However, this was absolutely brilliant.  It must be my romcom moment when I realize that the hunky male has a softer side and isn't such a jerk after all.  Although in this case, I suppose it is males.  No complaints here.

Griffin Mill is a Hollywood studio executive who is tasked with the difficult job of green lighting story pitches.  A new story executive comes on board, threatening Mill's job security.  He starts to receive death threats, which he presumes are coming from one of the many writers he has rejected.  He decides to investigate, but his sleuthing only creates more problems.

This film is pretty hilarious to anyone with even a cursory knowledge of American film.  It pokes fun at serious "artists" as much as it mocks manufactured Hollywood garbage.  It still manages to be somewhat light hearted, as hundreds of people from the industry are in on the joke.  I loved the character of Mill.  Yes, he was an asshole, but I still found myself cheering for him.  The ending has got to be one of the best I have seen.  It fit so well thematically with the rest of the movie, while wrapping everything up perfectly.

Highly recommended.  I might just end up kissing Tolkin or Altman (or both) in the rain.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Among the celebrities who made cameos were Cher, Susan Sarandon, Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, Burt Reynolds, Marlee Matlin, Jack Lemon, and Jeff Goldblum.

No comments:

Post a Comment