Friday, March 18, 2016

830. Gǔ lǐng jiē shàonián shārén shìjiàn

Gu ling jie shaonian sharen shijian
A Brighter Summer Day
1991
Directed by Edward Yang








I tried to give this one a shot, but I knew I was fighting a losing battle.  Four hours and I can only point to about two things that happened.  Only one of those things was interesting.

Man, I really do not feel like writing a plot synopsis for this one.  As I said, only a couple things happen of note, so I am not sure what would constitute as a spoiler.  Basically, the film is a coming of age story following a group of teenagers in Taiwan.  The most startling parts of the movie were when a young Taiwanese boy would sing rock and roll songs in a high pitched register.  It was...endearing.  And decidedly strange.

Apparently, there were over 100 amateur actors involved in this movie.  While no one was absolutely awful, a lot of them didn't have much of a screen presence.  I also think this is a case of the culture gap being just a bit too wide; I had never heard of the crime this film was based on, so really didn't have a lot of interest in the story.

Definitely a dull four hours, although I guess I shouldn't complain.  We have Satantango coming up.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Based on a true story.





No comments:

Post a Comment