Tuesday, March 15, 2016

823. Edward Scissorhands

Edward Scissorhands
1990
Directed by Tim Burton








Tim Burton is decidedly not for me.  I don't mind quirky films, but every character in his world is strange simply for the sake of being strange.  I just can never comfortably mesh with his fantasies.  I mean, who would even want to seduce someone with scissors for hands?  Wouldn't you be...nervous?  What a strange fetish.

Basically, a guy has scissors for hands and everyone has trouble dealing with it.  The beautiful Kim Boggs actually likes Edward for what he is, but her boyfriend Jim (their names rhyme! How fantastical!) is only interested in using Edward to steal his own father's money.  In summary, we are supposed to feel for the outcast, but everyone else is so weird, it's hard to feel like he is out of place in any way.

Something about the entire concept just rubs me the wrong way.  I feel like Burton was so in awe of his own creativity that he failed to notice the story wasn't that good.  Given how odd everything else was, I at least expected a unique ending.  Unfortunately, the climax was cliche and unsatisfying.

I am being particularly harsh.
RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The film was inspired by a drawing Burton did as a child.  Ugh, give me a break.

Vincent Price's last screen appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment