Andrew D. from one of my favorite blogs, 1001 Movies I (Apparently) Must See Before I Die, has passed the Liebster Award onto me! I think the last time that I won an award was in second grade when I finished my speed tests first. If you haven't checked out Andrew's blog yet, I would highly recommend you do so. If you type "1001 movie blogs" into Google, it is like a graveyard of abandoned blogs. Andrew has not only stuck with the project for years, but manages to write in-depth reviews that are both entertaining and enlightening.
Anyway, it is my duty as a recipient to write eleven random facts about myself and answer some questions that Andrew came up with. Here we go!
Random facts about me:
1. I have a white chinchilla named Lady, who, like her owner, mostly likes to eat treats, sleep, and be left alone.
2. I only went to high school for three years and went to college early.
3. I currently work at a library where my coworkers are all approximately forty years older than me.
4. I have been in love twice, each time I was more or less rejected, although I am pretty sure one of the guys was gay, so my ego wasn't that crushed.
5. My favorite place in the world is probably on the bridge in St. James Park, London.
6. My favorite books are The Elegance of a Hedgehog, Tom Jones, Don Quixote, and Emma.
7. In addition to the movie list, I also blog about the 1001 albums list and the 1001 books list.
8. My best friends are Rachel and Mara. Rachel is my older sister who has always taken care of me and Mara is the one person that made going to high school seem semi worthwhile.
9. I am completely obsessed with Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I think James Marsters is the sexiest man in the world.
10. I am teaching myself sign language.
11. My favorite musicians are Nico, The Beatles (duh), CSN, and Taylor Swift. Yes, I am opening myself up to ridicule with that last one.
1. What is your favorite Hitchcock film?
I think the most effective film is Psycho. That movie still terrifies me; the first time I saw it I had to sleep in my sister's room and kept waking up screaming. Because of this, I cannot watch it a lot but it is extremely well made. I guess one that I can watch over and over again would be Rope.
2. What is the first film you REMEMBER purchasing on DVD?
My DVD collection is pretty embarrassing. I pretty much only buy movies that I can't find on Netflix or the internet. Nowadays, I can pretty much watch my favorite movies whenever I want just by Googling them. So this is not really representative of me of my movie taste but I am pretty sure I bought There's Something About Mary awhile back because I had never seen it. As a side note, if anyone wants a copy of that terrible movie, I could send you one.
3. Think of your favorite director? Got it? Okay, now then, what is the movie that made them your favorite director?
I was pretty fond of Quentin Taratino before this, but after I saw Inglourious Basterds, I was absolutely blown away. For the entire 153 minutes I was on the edge of my seat. Just incredible.
4. Wes Anderson or Paul Thomas Anderson?
Definitely Wes Anderson. Rushmore was hilarious and I loved the use of Nico's songs in The Royal Tenebaums.
5. What is your favorite silent film?
Probably The Passion of Joan of Arc. Just a beautiful film.
6. You're going to be stranded on a deserted island and can take along five movies…what are they?
Princess Bride, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Searchers, Scream, and When Harry Met Sally.
7. Pre 1960s films or Post 1960s films?
Pre 1960s. I do love the nineties but the eighties weren't great and I couldn't live without fifties musicals.
8. Why do you blog about movies?
Initially, I wanted to follow the 1001 movie list but I did not have the courage to make a blog about it. I know that sounds silly, but the thought of making an entire website that consists solely of my opinions and writing terrified me. Gradually, however, I gained some courage by reading other people's fantastic blogs. Now, I have a great time writing reviews and contributing to this blog is one of the highlights of my day.
9. If you could dine with three movie personalities (directors, actors, actresses, etc) who would they be?
A lot of my idols are assholes, I think. Quentin Taratino is supposedly really mean and Hitchcock was a major creep (I am a brunette, though, so I might be safe). I would probably choose Woody Allen, Joss Whedon (I am cheating a little bit here because I would want to talk about Buffy and not his film work), and Kevin Spacey.
10. How big is your DVD collection?
Like I said, pretty embarrassing. I do have some good comedies (Scream, Office Space, Horrible Bosses, etc.) but other than that pretty slim.
11. Favorite horror film to watch on/or around Halloween.
I think Japanese horror films are the scariest so I would have to say Ringu.
Pass it on!
Part of my job as a Liebster Award recipient is to pass the award on to other blogs that deserve it. Here are my favorite blogs which deserve the highest praise:
Liz's 1001 Albums
What Should We Call Me
How Do I Put This Gently?
The Lit Witch
Sarah Reads Too Much
Questions for other bloggers
And finally, I have to write eleven questions that other bloggers have to answer. I will be really interested to see their responses.
1. Have you ever seriously considered giving up on your project?
2. What are your plans after you finish this project?
3. What would your advice be to people who are considering doing your project?
4. Where are you happiest in the world?
5. What's your favorite thing about your blog? Your least favorite?
6. If you could hang out with or date one fictional character, who would it be?
7. One special skill that you wish you had?
8. What do you think is the most overrated movie/book/album/tv show?
9. What's your dream job?
10. If you had one week left to live, what would you do?
11. If someone made you get a tattoo right now, what would it be?
Thank you again Andrew D. for the award. This was a lot of fun!