Sunday, November 29, 2020

1142. Ida

Ida
2013
Directed by Pawel Pawlikowski














I needed a fun movie to come along and get rid of my pandemic ennui. And what's more fun than a black and white movie about a Polish nun? Besides literally everything ever?

In the 1960s, Ida is a young Polish nun about to take her vows. Before doing so, she visits her only surviving relative, her Aunt Wanda. Aunt Wanda is a cool aunt, or at least, cooler than Ida. Ida learns some shocking news about her family history, which forces her to question her intended path.

I thought Ida was one of the least compelling protagonists I have ever seen. It makes sense for her character that she was so subdued, but that didn't make it easy to watch. I felt like the character was numb to everything, so watching her make discoveries wasn't the most thrilling experience.

Just a drab movie, even if the story is somewhat interesting.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Agata Trzebuchowska's film debut.

Trzebuchowska is an atheist.

2 comments:

  1. OOoohh.. poor you!

    After a bit of a run of rather nothing films, glad to see something that has .. something.
    OK, just what that 'something' is, I can well grant you the complaint.
    I liked tis one. 'Oh, great surprise' mutters Amanda.. Wow, Ray likes depressing, slow, European B&W arthouse movie.
    That's one I didn't expect'

    So you didn't know Ingmar Bergman was alive and well and living in Poland?

    Like the afore mentioned meister, I'm not sure I understood everything, but, wow, what atmosphere and feeling.

    Sorry, but.. thank you for film worth commenting on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would love this one:).

    ReplyDelete