Friday, November 20, 2020

1138. Blancanieves

Blancanieves
2012
Directed by Pablo Berger








Usually when I am watching a silent movie, I am conscious the entire time of its style, but I found myself forgetting this time. We are familiar enough with the story of Snow White that we didn't really need extensive dialogue to know what was going on. It was almost like flipping through a picture book, a picture book that features sexy Spaniards (my favorite kind).

So like I said, we all know the beats of this plot. This one distinguishes itself by having Snow White's father be a bullfighter, and the dwarves take part in this horrific activity as well. Sorry, I just read The Plumed Serpent by D.H. Lawrence and I'm still pretty raw from the disgusting descriptions of bullfighting. So much bowel spillage.

It's always nice to get swept up in a fairy tale, especially with a movie as beautifully shot as this one. Even some of the sillier decisions felt right, since this is such an over the top story. And the evil stepmother was perfection.

So in the end, a gorgeous and entertaining movie that I think most people would click with if they cared to check it out.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Shot in color and desaturated in post production.


4 comments:

  1. I expected to like this, and watched with expectations..
    I mean,
    European art house film? Check.
    Arty B&W AND silent ..? Cool niche. gotta like it, check.
    Dark and gloomy? Absolutely, check.
    But for some reason it just didn't do it for me.
    For some reason I don't even really remember much about it. For example.. I'd forgotten the bull fighting aspect.

    Really you forgot that?

    Yep, sorry...

    Perhaps I was in a distracted moon.. Should I try it again do you think? What did I miss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... or even a distracted MOOD. I shudder to think what a distracted moon is.

      Delete
  2. Moons have a lot on their plates.

    If you didn't like it the first time you probably won't like it the second time. I just really like fairy tales, so I'm pretty lenient about those movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks... I mean, I wouldn't go as far as saying I 'didn't like it', there was nothing that sticks (yes, even Bull fighting) as being unpleasant, irritating, contentious... (well, not that I remember)..I cannot even remember clock watching - but I somehow feel I did.
    Oh well...

    Oh, whilst here .. The thingie to the right of the main post where you can quickly see if anyone has added something new since last time .. Somehow it has shrunk to 5 from the usual 10. We also only get a Blogger icon thing rather than a picture. Not an issue, but maybe part of something.
    Anyway.. with only 5, something can disappear off the bottom very quickly... so if someone adds several all in one lump, or, if (good example here), we have a bit of interchange, someone else's valid points can vanish, anyone else never even knowing it was there...

    Any chance you can fix it please?

    ReplyDelete