Wednesday, June 22, 2016

985. Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain
2005
Directed by Ang Lee








I know everyone has to say it, but I can't believe this didn't win Best Picture.  Well, I guess it's not so unbelievable, as the people who decide these things are stuffy old white men.  But this is clearly the superior film and I am still going to bitch about it anyway.

In 1963, Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist are hired by Joe Aguirre to herd his sheep during the summer.  The pair fall in love, with Jack wanting to be more open about their relationship while Ennis is afraid of coming out.   Both end up living virtually separate lives that only overlap with the occasional fishing trip.  Still, their love is strong enough that it becomes noticeable to the people around them.

I was rage reading about the controversy surrounding this film, particularly how certain theaters wouldn't even play it.  There are so many horrible things happening in the world every single minute, but these people choose to take their stand against love.  It's so sickening.

Well, that went off the rails a bit.  Ahem...back to the movie.  The performances were incredibly inspired; I have never been too impressed with Anne Hathaway before but thankfully her cowgirl accent isn't as scary as her British one.  It's truly a touching romance, particularly since Heath Ledger passed away.  What an artist that man was.

Definitely one of the better romance films out there.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Heath Ledger nearly broke Jake Gyllenhaal's nose when they filmed a kissing scene.

Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams met and fell in love on set.

3 comments:

  1. Did you struggle to understand the dialogue?

    At the time a friend organised a thing where five of us would go to watch films together with us each taking it in turns to pick the film. The idea being that we would go to the pub afterwards to discuss what we'd just watched. I remember when I told one of the group, who was already a bit unimpressed with the principle and thinking of not going any more, that my next selection was going to be a love story about two gay cowboys and asking if he would be joining us. "Wild horses, Sir" he told me. "Wild horses..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me about that group! I can't believe this movie was the deal breaker....it could have been so much worse. And no I didn't, which was nice.

      Delete
  2. I really liked this movie and thought everyone did a really good job with it!

    ReplyDelete