Wednesday, June 15, 2016

972. La meglio gioventu

La meglio gioventu
The Best of Youth
2003
Directed by Marco Tullio Giordana






The most notable (and frightening) thing about this film seems to be that it is seven hours long.  I suppose when you consider the fact that it was originally meant to be shown on television, it doesn't seem too excessive.  Still, I think seven hours is a long time to spend with one family, even my own (just kidding, Mom).

The Best of Youth follows the lives of two brothers from the 1960s to present day.  Matteo is hot headed, while Nicola is more grounded.  Any further description is definitely above my pay grade (which, let's just say, is low enough that I am not required to pay taxes).

Italian family sagas have never been my thing, but this is probably the best of the batch (the batch being Rocco and his Brothers and Novecento).  Maybe I haven't taken to them because I never find the characters particularly relatable or admirable.  Not that likable characters are necessary for a good film, but it does make the hundreds of hours needed to watch these movies more bearable.

In any case, I am getting slightly burned out, so I will end there (did I use enough parentheses in this post?).

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Originally developed as a miniseries.

No comments:

Post a Comment