Friday, June 3, 2016

958. Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain
Amelie
2001
Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet









I recall seeing Amelie many moons ago in my French class.  I think the girls liked it and the boys were bored.  At the time I didn't fully appreciate how original this film was.  At the very least, you'll never find anyone more adorable than Audrey Tautou.

Amelie is a young, mischievous woman with an active imagination.  She was raised by her reclusive father after her mother was killed by the falling body of a suicide jumper. Amelie devotes herself to making others happy, often in quirky ways.  In other words, she is the original manic pixie dream girl.

I would never call this a favorite film, but its goodheartedness and lightness of touch makes it endearing nonetheless.  Like I said, no one is cuter than Audrey Tautou and some of the scenes have always stuck out in my mind (particularly moments where we see Amelie's perspective on sex).

Many films have tried to embody a childlike spirit.  Usually, that type of film gets on my nerves.  This one pulled off the atmosphere perfectly.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The part of Amelie was written with Emily Watson in mind but she was forced to decline as she was filming Gosford Park.


4 comments:

  1. Funny, quirky and well done! I need to watch this again. Loved the gnome! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of those films that ones opinion about changes, sometimes from day-to-day. When I first saw it I was swept up in the charm and quirkyness.. but second viewing left me feeling it was twee, sentimentalised simplistic even... So I don't really know. I think you know what I mean.. you say .... what was it ... "Many films have tried to embody a childlike spirit. Usually, that type of film gets on my nerves".. Which I'd totally agree with. Its as to if this one managed to pull it off or not... Give me another day, another mindset.. and I may be more on your side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. I feel like that with certain authors.

      Delete