Thursday, June 2, 2016

956. Memento

Memento
2000
Directed by Christopher Nolan








I decided I am going to quickly write this review and then finally watch the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel.  So I apologize if it seems like I am rushing somewhat.  I am just eager to get to my new favorite movie.  For now, let's talk about another decent film.

Leonard Shelby is attacked in his home.  Leonard is able to kill one of the attackers, but the other one escapes.  His wife was raped and murdered, and he ends up with a head injury that leaves him unable to form new memories.  Leonard is determined to track down the other attacker, but, of course, it is rather difficult when you have nothing but tattoos and photos to keep track of things.

The story is told in reverse chronological order.  I think this marks the first and only time that I have enjoyed this technique, as it really seems to fit well.  The scattered and confusing quality of the narrative helped us to sympathize with Leonard's own helplessness.  I'm not sure if repeated viewings would really be worth it, but I enjoyed the uniqueness of the structure.

Anyway, on to my adventurous evening.  Definitely one of the best films Nolan has to offer!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Alec Baldwin was the first choice to play Leonard.

Only took 25 days to shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment