Thursday, June 23, 2016

1000. There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood
2007
Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson








1000.  This is thousandth movie review.  How insane is that?  I know, no one asked for a speech, but damn.  I just recently went out with a guy and when I told him I was nearly finished with this List he said, "Wow, that's a lot of time" with an almost pitying look as if I had just revealed what a loser I was. Still, I am pleased with this accomplishment, even if it makes me kind of a geek.

Daniel Plainview is a ruthless oil prospector who is willing to do just about anything in his pursuit of wealth.  His son, H.W., becomes his "business partner" until an accident renders him deaf.  Plainview sends H.W. to a school for the deaf and continues his manic quest for power.

Sorry if that summary was too vague, but I thought a lot of the excitement from this film came from marveling at the decisions Plainview makes, so I don't want to spoil anything.  I know I have complained about Daniel Day Lewis in the past, but he truly delivers a brilliant performance here.  I actually didn't feel as though he expected applause every five seconds, which was refreshing.  I was also quite impressed with Paul Dano, who I had forgotten was in this.  I really want to see more of his work, but he doesn't seem to crop up that often.

I do think the film could have used some trimming, but it was ultimately entertaining and looked great.  Sorry if I am rushing, but I am ready to get my last review written and peace out of this bitch.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

First film of Paul Thomas Anderson's to not feature Philip Seymour Hoffman.


No comments:

Post a Comment