Thursday, June 2, 2016

955. Wo hu cang long

Wo hu cang long
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2000
Directed by Ang Lee









I just realized the sequel for this movie has been out for awhile without me realizing it.  Well, I know what I am doing tonight!  Things just got a little wilder at my house.

In the Qing dynasty, trained warrior Li Mu Bai decides to give his treasured sword, Green Destiny, to a friend but the sword is soon stolen by a mysterious stranger.  Li Mu Bai pursues the sword with his pseudo lover, Shu Lien.  He also hopes the avenge the death of his old master, who was killed by the cunning Jade Fox.

I am sorry if that summary was vague/inaccurate.  It is hard to keep track of the plots of movies like these.  Basically, the story is just an excuse to have the coolest fight scenes ever filmed.  The action sequences remind me of a ballet I saw once only, you know, about ten times more exciting.  The cinematography was surprisingly gorgeous for a martial arts film.  That's Ang Lee for you, I suppose.

Anyway, I realize some people have an aversion to martial arts movies and certainly if you don't enjoy this, you probably aren't going to enjoy any film of this genre.  Fortunately, martial arts movies are my guilty pleasure.  Or, in this case, just my pleasure.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

The actors performed almost all of their own stunts.

Holds the record for the most Oscar nominations for a foreign film.


No comments:

Post a Comment