Saturday, June 11, 2016

966. Uzak

Uzak
2002
Directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan







This was an extraordinarily dull film.  I suppose the dullness was intentional.  I think we were supposed to observe the characters' dreary existences and isolation from society and feel some sort of kinship that is hopefully worth the two hour running time.  I can achieve the same goal by simply driving to the local Sheetz (which would only take ten minutes).

Mahmut is a wealthy photographer who lives a pretty aimless life of loneliness and pretension.  His relative, Yusuf, comes to stay with him after losing his job at a factory.  Yusuf is Mahmut's intellectual counterpart and the two do not get along.  And um...that's pretty much it.

Okay, perhaps that wasn't an entirely fair assessment, but man, was I bored.  I am trying to think of some positive insights to share.  I suppose the filmmakers were effective in creating a very distinct environment and mood.  Unfortunately, it just wasn't very compelling.  Maybe it's because I am toward the end of my journey but I seem to be losing patience.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The film Mahmut was watching on television was Tarkovsky's Stalker.

No comments:

Post a Comment