Saturday, October 31, 2015

625. Killer of Sheep

Killer of Sheep
1977
Directed by Charles Burnett










Another film that doesn't exactly fall under the "Halloween" heading.  Hang on, because I am going to review Eraserhead next!  I can't believe I just wrote that like it is a positive thing.

Uh right.  A plot summary.  Well, there really is no plot in this film.  I guess the kindest way to describe it is as a series of vignettes about Stan, a poor slaughterhouse worker who lives in Los Angeles. It kind of reminds me of the film Gummo, directed by Harmony Korine, although a lot less horrifying.

This is the kind of movie that makes film critics drool.  This film was never released theatrically but was restored in 2007.  There is absolutely no plot or character development. I am sure whoever did this entry in The Book was quite pleased with themselves.  However, it is not the kind of film I can get into.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

No permits were obtained for this film so it couldn't be shown in theaters.  Thirty years later, the film was restored and the proper rights were secured.  Hurray...

1 comment: