Saturday, October 3, 2015

609. All The President's Men

All The President's Men
1976
Directed by Alan J. Pakula











I have had to watch this film several times for my journalism class, where it is devoutly worshipped.  Rightfully so, since this is a masterpiece of a film.

The film covers the first seven months of the Watergate Scandal, with Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford playing Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, respectively.  There are more details here, of course, and this film can be just about as confusing as The Big Sleep.

So, like I said, this movie is a masterpiece, which, to my knowledge, has very few minor inaccuracies.  Maybe I am biased, but I loved watching the reporters' processes.  It wasn't car chases and death threats; it was simply following up every lead, usually from your desk. I can't honestly say that it is a fun movie to watch over and over, but it certainly is a must see, just for the performances alone.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Frank Willis, the security guard who discovers the break in, plays himself.

Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman memorized each other's lines so that they could interrupt each other in character.

4 comments:

  1. Good ... In this little batch of films, and me catching up, good to both admire and like a film.
    Lots of talking, lots of politics, no one getting blown up.. what is there not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1976 was a strong year for films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is cool they tried to keep this as close to actual events as possible and the darkness and confusion works to its benefit. My problem with the movie is that it ends abruptly. It is likely that it simply stops when what follows is publicly known, yet that is "publicly known in 76 in the US". I am not so sharp on the details and could do with a bit of help

    ReplyDelete