Wednesday, October 7, 2015

613. The Ascent

The Ascent
1976
Directed by Larisa Shepitko








A black and white Soviet film!  This should be cheerful.  I just googled the phrase "Soviet Union comedies."  Man, that was a short list.

I feel like I can't say too much about this plot without giving key points away.  Let's just say two Soviet soldiers attempt to evade capture from the Germans in World War II.

In a lot of ways, I felt like this film should have been really interesting to me.  Americans always love to act like we were the real heroes of World War II and that we saved the day.  But the statistics of the casualties during this War are mind-blowing; the USSR lost 20 million people, while the US lost half a million.  Not to discount any of the Allies' contributions, but you would think you would hear more stories about World War II involving Russians.  Still, I can't say I found this film particularly interesting.  In fact, I was quite bored; only about three things happen in this film.  Can we move a little faster please?

I have heard this film praised for its cinematography, but having grown up in Pennsylvania, I have seen more than my share of dirty snowscapes.  Definitely a dull experience.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Last film of the Shepitko's before her death.  She died in a car accident in 1979.

1 comment:

  1. I think watching russian movies in the current climate is an even worse experience. Not much to enjoy here, though I think I saw i on Sight and Sound's new top 100....

    ReplyDelete