Friday, October 2, 2015

607. Carrie

Carrie
1976
Directed by Brian De Palma







Happy October everybody!  I am just going to go ahead and take credit for the fact that I am reviewing a horror movie right now, even though I go through the List chronologically and this is a complete coincidence.

Carrie tells the story of an awkward teenager who has an abusive, religious mother.  It makes me feel better about my own experience in high school.  I mean, I couldn't have been that weird...right?  Anyway, Carrie gets her period at school (which is a nightmare in itself) but doesn't know what it is so starts screaming.  Naturally, she is laughed at, because it is high school and everyone is terrible.  One of the girls feels guilty for her part in it and arranges to have her boyfriend take Carrie to prom.  A pity date.  Those always end well.  Oh yes, Carrie also has telekinetic powers.

This is one of the most iconic horror movies of all time and everyone is at least a little familiar with it.  I actually watched the remake, which is horrifying for its own reasons.  I am sorry, but if you were as hot as Chloe Grace Moretz, you wouldn't be unpopular in high school.

Yes, the acting can be somewhat cheesy but I thought Piper Laurie, at least, was terrifying.  Definitely a must see, just so you don't have annoying people (me) say "You've NEVER seen Carrie???"

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Stephen King loved this film.  An author likes a movie that was based on their book?  That's refreshing.

In real life, Sissy Spacek was homecoming queen.


9 comments:

  1. Sorry, I've slipped a bit behind with comments. I was away for a few days. I have one of those 'significant'' birthdays tomorrow, and a friend arranged a short break away to Dublin for us.
    But .. Carrie. Yes, I find this one quite good.. Sure, there is blood splashed about, but no way is this a 'teen slasher' movie and interesting characters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ray, I was wondering where you were! Happy Birthday! Can I ask what the birthday is, or are you keeping that information close to the chest?

      Delete
  2. In my opinion Sissy Spacek made this movie. Her performance is amazing. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to keep you guessing as to age .. (although I thought I had 'come out' to you as to just how ancient I am before .. But Andrew has revealed all. He saw a posting of my Birthday on facebook.

      Delete
    2. Hey Ray! I friend requested you on Facebook. I don't know if you know what I look like so you might not recognize me!

      Delete
  3. Found you .. Thank you. Oh you mean that one (picture) you have on here isn't really you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha my profile picture of me but I have lost some weight since then and wanted to show off.

      Delete
  4. So, which one is better, the original or the remake? I prefer the original ( i usually do) but my wife prefer the remake.

    ReplyDelete