Tuesday, October 27, 2015

622. Stroszek

Stroszek
1977
Directed by Werner Herzog









Continuing my rant from the last post, what does the title Last Chants for a Slow Dance even mean?  It just sounds like Chance!  Chants doesn't make any sense!  Sorry, I am still bitter.  Let's transition to my rant for this film.  I am a real treat, aren't I?

Bruno Stoszek is released from prison.  He was incarcerated for some charge related to alcohol, but we are never told what it is (my first grievance).  He immediately goes to a bar, because addicts are lovely, and comforts an unhappy prostitute.  The pair decide to leave Germany and come to America.  Blah, blah, blah the American dream is actually a nightmare blah blah blah.

Sorry, I am cranky today.  My subtitles for this film were absolutely horrible.  The words on the screen were about five minutes ahead of what was actually happening.  This was confusing, to say the least.  Even without this obstacle, I think I would have disliked this movie.  The characters were extremely self destructive, which is always frustrating to watch.  There were also so many irritating scenes in this film that just set my teeth on edge.  The earsplitting accordion music, the voice of the auctioneer, the chicken dancing...I just wanted to punch a whole in my computer.

Werner Herzog continues his slow torture.  Oh, the pain.  Will Man of Marble stop this?

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Apparently, Ian Curtis watched this film before committing suicide.  Is it insensitive to say I understand this?

Admired by David Lynch.  Wow, these facts are really reinforcing my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds horrible! I admire your stamina and even though it was torture for you to watch, it makes for a very entertaining review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting through this one would make anyone cranky. Not impressed either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Diana! Yeah, Herzog is a huge disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about these bottom of society characters that is just super depressive. It is not so much their unfortunate fates as much as the characters themselves that is just... Hopeless.

    ReplyDelete