Wednesday, October 7, 2015

612. Network

Network
1976
Directed by Sidney Lumet







This used to be my older brother's favorite film (I don't know if it still is; he has the tendency to make broad proclamations sometimes and then pretend he never meant them).  As the dutiful doting younger sister, I watched it too.  I actually found it to be quite dull, although I am sure I pretended otherwise.

Howard Beale is the anchor of the UBS Evening News.  He learns that he will be fired in two weeks so declares on air that he will shoot himself on camera before his deadline.  His um, colorful antics actually cause a ratings spike, one that Diana Christensen, played by Faye Dunaway, tries to capitalize on.

Like I said, I found this movie to be exceedingly dull.  All the actors were "acting" so hard that it was pretty exhausting to watch.  I also didn't really understand what the point was.  Yes, it sucks that Howard will soon be out of a job.  But times change, people change, and that is just the way it is.  I don't think the company is "evil" for trying to get ratings (at least, initially).  It was also annoying, but not unexpected, that the successful career woman of course had to be a cold bitch.

A chore to get through and easily skippable.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Jimmy Stewart turned down the main role because of the strong language.  Aw, Jimmy.  You are my favorite square.



5 comments:

  1. I have to completely disagree on this movie. Easily one of my favorite films and still relevant today. This movie feels very modern.

    I personally thought this should have won best picture, and I do like Rocky, Taxi Driver, All The President's Men. I still feel Network is the best of that group. Sorry you didn't like it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what was going on with the Oscars in 1976? I am glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Sorry Amanda, I'm with Larry on this one .. I quite enjoyed this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Andrew agrees with me! So I got one haha

      Delete
  3. One more on team Larry and Ray. This is a brilliant movie and incredibly presentient. What was fiction in 76 is reality today. Amazing movie.

    ReplyDelete