Sunday, October 18, 2015

617. Star Wars

Star Wars
1977
Directed by George Lucas









All right, ladies and gentlemen.  It's happening!  Star Wars is here.  Star Wars is here!!

Would I consider myself a warsie?  The term makes me think of some frightening, overweight creature with a collection of Jabba the Hut pez dispensers (sorry, warsies).  I have seen the series several times, own the prequels (I know, gasp) and several posters, and have had in depth arguments with my ex boyfriend about the nature of the new lightsaber hilt.  So I guess, yes, I have to start liking pez.

Wow, suddenly the plot seems complicated to explain.  Or, at least, complicated to explain without giving away spoilers.  Of course, if you are going to get mad at me for spoiling Star Wars, just know that I am flipping you off all the way from London.

I know some people simply don't "get" it.  I am not old enough to have nostalgia be the motivator behind my obsession.  I just think it is fun.  The dialogue is fun (how can it not be when someone is called a nerf herder?), the characters are entertaining, and the action never stops.  Special effects never exactly age well, but I think that is part of the enjoyment!  Just have a good time with this one.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Brian De Palma reportedly called this "the worst movie ever."  Oh, what do you know?

First science fiction film to be nominated for Best Picture.

Carrie Fisher was only given the role when she agreed to lose 10 pounds.

8 comments:

  1. This movie was fun, fun, fun to see the first time and every time since.I liked it and all the others...sequels & prequels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo someone who will admit to liking the prequels! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ho hum ...What to say ..
    Amanda .. you may have recently seen my 'out on my lonesome' tirade against another established 'great film' - 'The Searchers'.
    Well, I'm not going to do a hatchet job on Star Wars .. because there is nothing to hate about it, but I'm afraid I cannot rave about it either. It is - again, like Jaws, what it is, and so what? I didn't see it (them) on first release - not until the re-release, slightly tweaked versions . but I did go to the cinema to see them then, and was reasonably entertained. But sorry fans , the dreadful faint praise of 'reasonably entertaining' is the best I can go to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your tirade! I will go comment on that in a minute. I might have dropped dead of shock if you had confessed to be a Warsie!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Star Wars is one of my fav films ever. Return Of The Jedi is my favorite of the six. I do enjoy most of the prequels . (Only half of Attack Of The Clones. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another Star Wars fan! I liked the prequels too. I get the feeling that the writers had no idea how to write a love story, but I still loved them.

      Delete
  6. When a movie gives you that fuzzy warm feeling inside, then it cannot be bad. Watching it is context with what else came out in the mid seventies, this is totally amazing.

    ReplyDelete