Thursday, April 28, 2016

893. Kjærlighetens kjøtere

Kjaerlighetens kjotere
Zero Kelvin
1995
Directed by Hans Petter Moland








We are rapidly approaching 900.  This is very exciting!  I plan on continuing my servitude to the Book by completing the other editions after I finish my Indiana Jones copy.  To my knowledge the full List currently includes 1157 films.  It will be so strange reviewing current movies...but I am rambling.  Back to the film at hand: Zero Kelvin.

Henrik Larsen decides to move to Greenland and become a fur trapper after his girlfriend rejects his marriage proposal.  Talk about not handling rejection well.  He shares a tiny cabin with Randbaek, a sadistic trapper, and Holm, a reserved scientist.  As they are stuck in complete ice-olation, there is snow telling what will happen if they don't find a way to peacefully coexist.  I should tell my dad about that line; he would be pleased.

This would be a great play and hey, if this story was on stage we probably wouldn't have to watch sled dogs be mistreated.  Anyway, this was a great film with intelligent dialogue and a powerful atmosphere.  I did think Randbaek was a little cartoonish in his villainy at first, but I was ultimately won over by all of the characters.

One of the hidden gems on The List and worth checking out.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Filmed in Svalbard.

No comments:

Post a Comment