Thursday, April 7, 2016

861. Trois Couleurs: Bleu

Trois Couleurs: Bleu
Three Colors: Blue
1993
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski







Only two of the films in Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy are featured in the book.  The second one, Three Colors: White, is skipped.  It might make some completists absolutely insane to not watch the entire trilogy.  But as you can probably tell from this blog, I am kind of easy going about List stuff.  I really don't take it that seriously.  Ahem.

Julie loses both her husband and young daughter in a car crash.  Nothing else of note really happens, as the rest of the film deals with her coping with her grief.

I really struggled with this one.  I didn't expect to, as I adore Juliette Binoche.  I would watch that woman do infomercials.  Still, I thought the experience was a rather dull one.  And I know I am about to make the most obvious statement ever, but everything was so...blue.  The concept felt a bit campy to me; the whole blue=depression idea is kind of tired.  It all just felt very exaggerated and I don't feel like there were any new insights presented.

Anyway, any film with Juliette Binoche is worth watching.  I hope Rouge is more impressive.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Both stars of the sequel, Three Colors: White, make brief appearances in this film.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are not taking to Kieslowski.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Double Life of Veronique. Kind of.

      Delete
  2. "the whole blue=depression idea is kind of tired".

    Well, actually the association blue=depression is exclusive of the English language. In French, for instance, blue is used as "newbie". Apparently, what Kieslowky wanted to represent here was "Liberty" as in the famous French motto "liberty, equality, and fraternity". So, Julie is basically trying to liberate herself from the memory of her love ones... to no avail. The fact the film is so, well, sad is purely accidental.

    Personally I find it very touching and quite close to my personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting perspective as always! Glad you connected with it!

    ReplyDelete