Thursday, April 7, 2016

861. Trois Couleurs: Bleu

Trois Couleurs: Bleu
Three Colors: Blue
1993
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski







Only two of the films in Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy are featured in the book.  The second one, Three Colors: White, is skipped.  It might make some completists absolutely insane to not watch the entire trilogy.  But as you can probably tell from this blog, I am kind of easy going about List stuff.  I really don't take it that seriously.  Ahem.

Julie loses both her husband and young daughter in a car crash.  Nothing else of note really happens, as the rest of the film deals with her coping with her grief.

I really struggled with this one.  I didn't expect to, as I adore Juliette Binoche.  I would watch that woman do infomercials.  Still, I thought the experience was a rather dull one.  And I know I am about to make the most obvious statement ever, but everything was so...blue.  The concept felt a bit campy to me; the whole blue=depression idea is kind of tired.  It all just felt very exaggerated and I don't feel like there were any new insights presented.

Anyway, any film with Juliette Binoche is worth watching.  I hope Rouge is more impressive.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Both stars of the sequel, Three Colors: White, make brief appearances in this film.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are not taking to Kieslowski.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Double Life of Veronique. Kind of.

      Delete