Monday, April 25, 2016

892. Heat

Heat
1995
Directed by Michael Mann








I wasn't sure I was going to take this one.  It was hyped as the first time Robert De Niro and Al Pacino meet onscreen and I was afraid it would be a "whip them out and measure them" type showdown that would grate on my nerves.  However, this was quite an enjoyable film; I don't even think I will complain about the running time.

Seasoned LAPD detective Vincent Hanna attempts to capture and successfully convict Neil McCauley, a career criminal.  I know it's a rather vague summary, but any further description feels like it would constitute as a spoiler.  Suffice to say, both men are more similar than they realize.  Iago was our dark Othello, Faith was our dark Buffy,  Gollum was our dark Frodo and so Neil is our dark Vincent.  Or maybe Vincent is our dark Neil.  It's hard to say which of these men is the hero.

A thief and cop sit down at a diner together.  Talk about a screenwriter's wet dream.  It is admittedly a great scene, although it's certainly not the only reason this film is great.  It is brilliantly paced and, of course, brilliantly acted.  I knew Pacino and De Niro would be incredible but I was also impressed with Ashley Judd, Natalie Portman, and (surprisingly) Val Kilmer.

This might be my favorite Al Pacino movie.  I know, I know.  It's a big statement.  I might take that back if challenged, but for now, let's let it lie.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Al Pacino had a facelift prior to filming.

Body count of 21.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I just expected more. Of the film in general and of THAT scene in particular. Too much of it seemed to be built upon lazy cliches. Possibly I should watch it again with lower expectations and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it might be one of the most hyped scenes in recent memory, so it has that going against it. I still liked it though.

      Delete