Tuesday, April 12, 2016

867. Trois Couleurs: Rouge

Trois Couleurs: Rouge
Three Colors: Red
1994
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski








This is the last film in Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy.  The previous films were Blue (which I did review) and White (which I didn't review).  I know, I know.  I am a loose cannon.

Valentine Dussault is a part time model who accidentally hits a dog with her car.  She discovers that the dog belongs to her neighbor, a reclusive retired judge, Joseph Kern, who loves to eavesdrop on his neighbors' telephone conversations.  Valentine is disgusted by Kern's activities but ends up overhearing a conversation herself between a couple, Karin and Auguste.  Karin and Auguste are seemingly in love,  but Kern believes that Karin is dishonest.

The metaphors and symbolism in this film are a bit less heavy handed than in Blue, for which I am thankful.  Irene Jacob is as compelling as Juliette Binoche.  Well, almost.  In any case, I think this is a marked improvement from Blue.

Still, it is a very slow moving film.  The characters are also rather inaccessible.  Valentine made for a rather dull protagonist.  I suppose she was supposed to be the moral center of the film.  We all know how I feel about Melanie Wilkes-esque characters.

I might watch White someday, but I kind of think there must be a solid reason for not including it on the List.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Was rejected by the Academy as an entry for Best Foreign Language Film on the grounds that it was not being a majority-Swiss production.

No comments:

Post a Comment