Tuesday, April 12, 2016

867. Trois Couleurs: Rouge

Trois Couleurs: Rouge
Three Colors: Red
1994
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski








This is the last film in Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy.  The previous films were Blue (which I did review) and White (which I didn't review).  I know, I know.  I am a loose cannon.

Valentine Dussault is a part time model who accidentally hits a dog with her car.  She discovers that the dog belongs to her neighbor, a reclusive retired judge, Joseph Kern, who loves to eavesdrop on his neighbors' telephone conversations.  Valentine is disgusted by Kern's activities but ends up overhearing a conversation herself between a couple, Karin and Auguste.  Karin and Auguste are seemingly in love,  but Kern believes that Karin is dishonest.

The metaphors and symbolism in this film are a bit less heavy handed than in Blue, for which I am thankful.  Irene Jacob is as compelling as Juliette Binoche.  Well, almost.  In any case, I think this is a marked improvement from Blue.

Still, it is a very slow moving film.  The characters are also rather inaccessible.  Valentine made for a rather dull protagonist.  I suppose she was supposed to be the moral center of the film.  We all know how I feel about Melanie Wilkes-esque characters.

I might watch White someday, but I kind of think there must be a solid reason for not including it on the List.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Was rejected by the Academy as an entry for Best Foreign Language Film on the grounds that it was not being a majority-Swiss production.

5 comments:

  1. You should watch White, it's not as good as Blue but I certainly liked it more than Red
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the list should have included all three films like they did with LOTR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jac... I see your point .. just when doesa series of films become one? LotR seems to be one.. you rather need to have seen part one before seeing pt 2...so that seems obvious a candidate to lump together..
    These however can be seen separately, and perhaps more to the point, in any order, which, to me, seems to validate them being listed as 3 films...

    Now if we could only get all 87 Star Wars films listed as one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a valid point Ray, but I often get annoyed at trilogies being split, I am a completist and it messes with my OCD. Although I think the end of Red justifies why you should see all three films and in order.
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an eternal grey area, but I think the principle should be that the movies are "the same" in all senses. Either by being copies of each other or being part of a single whole.

    Typically, but not necessarily, that means they should have been conceived at the same time. If not, then it has to be pretty similar sequels.

    Stylistically they have to be the same; if you've seen one then you learn nothing more from seeing the others.

    And, oft overlooked, the quality has to be consistent. This rules Star Wars out because there are only two good Star Wars movies.

    LotR was effectively one movie released in three parts.

    ReplyDelete