Sunday, April 17, 2016

878. Chungking Express

Chungking Express
1994
Directed by Wong Kar-wai









My crush on Brigitte Lin continues to intensify after watching this film.  I want to check out her other movies, but I might have to wait until I am free agent (i.e. done with this List).

The film tells two separate stories that barely connect to each other.  The first plot follows a Taiwanese cop as he attempts to get over his ex girlfriend.  The second story involves another cop, who was also recently dumped.  Bitches be crazy.  He catches the eye of a girl working at a snack bar, who has some...unconventional ideas about starting a relationship.

Obviously, this film intends to be disjointed, although it is hard not to feel jarred by the sudden shift in stories.  I would have liked to have seen more of each story; it seemed like the first one ended right when things were about to heat up.  I guess if a movie leaves you wanting more, it does its job well.

So one to check out, but not the most satisfying film I have ever seen.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Wong Kar-wai based Brigitte Lin's character on Gena Rowlands and Greta Garbo.


No comments:

Post a Comment