Friday, April 22, 2016

887. Deseret

Deseret
1995
Directed by James Benning








Wow, I never thought a film would make me miss Koyaanisqatsi.  This was just a ridiculous inclusion, designed to test my embarrassing level of devotion to the List.

For eighty two minutes we are forced to watch images of Utah.  First the images are in black and white, then they are in color.  I don't think anyone would describe the Utah landscape as "colorful" so it doesn't feel like that much a difference.   Anyway, Fred Gardner provides a narration where he reads out loud old New York Times articles.  I know it sounds like a joke, but it is very, very real.

As this film is supposed to provide us a history of Mormonism, it had the potential to be interesting.  My only knowledge of Mormonism comes from seeing The Book of Mormon with my brother last year, so I was excited to learn more.  The filmmaker makes absolutely zero effort to make any of the information interesting.  In fact, the flat delivery and dull images make me think they were trying to create the most boring film of all time.  Maybe it was some sort of Springtime for Hitler scheme.

Anyway, this made Koyaanisqatsi look like the adventure of a lifetime.  Avoid at all costs.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

This was a tough film to find and I was unable to uncover any interesting trivia.  Fellow List followers might want to make the viewing of this movie a priority, since it is such a challenge to locate.  Currently it is available on YouTube, but it could be taken down soon.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, it's another of those weird entries but the dullest ever? Come on! Have you forgotten "Trop Tot, Trop Tard" already?

    At least, I have learned something about Utah here. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I knew all I needed before. Is Too Little Too Late your pick for most boring? That's a tough category on this list.

      Delete
  2. Ohh ..Koyaanisqatsi had much more beauty! Actually, I wasnt bored by that one (I even watched one of the others).. but this one ... sorry, but I rather agree with you. (but wait for the qualifier later)
    You know me, I'm rather reluctant to get into the 'this is the best / worst / most exciting scale thing, but quite happy to say such or such is 'amongst the most ..'
    Thing is, speaking just for myself, I was much more bored by, say 'Furry road' (incorrect spelling used as a deliberate swipe), a 'Fast and furious' or the latest Comic book adaptation than even this one. Ouch, that will fetch the flack.

    ReplyDelete