Friday, April 1, 2016

853. The Crying Game

The Crying Game
1992
Directed by Neil Jordan






If this film is still unspoiled for you, I suggest watching it as soon as possible.  I never ruin endings, but not everyone is as pious as me.  If only.

A unit of IRA members kidnap Jody, a British soldier, by luring him to a secluded area with the promise of sex. The IRA plans to execute Jody in three days if certain members aren't released from jail. Fergus, one of the kidnappers, develops a bond with Jody.  Jody makes Fergus promise to find his girlfriend Dil in London if anything happens to him.  Um...hilarity ensues.  Sorry, when you are as saintly as I am, the plot summaries don't wrap up very nicely.

This film seems oddly disjointed.  The first half (which feels like a character study) and the second half (which feels like a political thriller) seem like completely different movies.  Both parts are quite enjoyable, but the film lacks cohesion.  I did love the romance, as I had resigned myself to a cliche love story, when it took an unexpected and exciting turn.

It is also interesting for me to see an Irish film, especially after visiting Ireland in the fall.  I would love to watch more movies about the IRA; this and Odd Man Out were both fascinating.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Stanley Kubrick persuaded Neil Jordan to change the title of the film from "The Soldier's Wife" as he believed movies with religious or military titles generally turn people off.

3 comments:

  1. An interesting movie with an unexpected twist...didn't love it but thought it was interesting. I am still amazed that no one had spoiled it for me before i saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a movie with an emotional punch. Twist or not it is a very human movie and not one to let go easily. I get the point of being disjointed though. There are quite a few themes here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing, Diana. I agree TSorensen, it still would have been interesting sans twist.

    ReplyDelete