Thursday, September 3, 2015

582. A Woman Under the Influence

A Woman Under the Influence
Directed by John Cassavetes
1974







I am sorry I haven't posted in awhile! I will be living in London for a little while and have been settling in.  Maybe now that I am in England my opinions will match Ray's more!  Although I will never hate musicals, no matter what he says.

I don't even want to waste too much time with this movie.  A woman slowly (very, very slowly) descends into madness.  I had strep throat while I was watching this and I swear it raised my fever.  This was one of the most obnoxious films I have ever seen.  A husband and wife scream at each other for two and a half hours.  It makes the couple in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf look like two lovebirds.

Apparently Richard Dreyfuss found the experience of watching the film so "harrowing" that he vomited.  My illness took a different form but the moral is clear: avoid or risk your personal health.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Gena Rowlands and John Cassavetes were married in real life.


1 comment:

  1. I am not as negative as you on this one. Yes, this was painful to watch and yes, i did feel like screaming at them, but there was that sense that the director understood these people even if they did not understand each other. And Gena Rowlands was convincing as she lost her mind.

    ReplyDelete