Sunday, September 6, 2015

585. Celine and Julie Go Boating

Celine and Julie Go Boating
1974
Directed by Jacques Rivette








I have been recovering from strep throat for the past week and it seems that my head and nose were feeling left out.  Yesterday, they decided to join the party and now it feels like my head is going to explode any minute.  Thankfully, today I can stay home, rest, and watch more inexcusably long films.

The movie starts with a girl named Julie reading a spell book in a park.  Fair enough.  A woman passes, dropping things as she goes.  Julie tries to catch up and follows the woman all over Paris.  Then I guess they become friends and move in together?  And keep visiting a house that may or may not exist?  Honestly, I was confused for the duration of this movie.  I suppose it is similar to Alice in Wonderland. But as frequent readers know, I am not fond of psychedelic stories, particularly those that last approximately a hundred hours.

Obviously, there is a lot to digest with this movie.  It seems like either these girls were on heavy amounts of drugs or Celine was a figment of Julie's imagination.  I don't find either theory particularly intriguing.  There were definitely moments of beauty in this film, but decidedly not my cup of tea.  I can say that now because I am in England!

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

References Alice in Wonderland, Remembrance of Things Past, and Les Vampires.

1 comment: