Saturday, September 26, 2015

598. India Song

India Song
1975
Directed by Marguerite Duras









Yikes.  I sat through an hour long ballet at the Royal Opera House last night and had absolutely no idea what was going on.  It was an adaptation of Romeo and Juliet so you would think I would be able to at least grasp part of the storyline.  I could not and haven't been that confused since my college statistic class.  Tonight, I was equally baffled from this film.  Am I stupid?  Should I just lean into this and start watching Adam Sandler films instead?  I shudder at the thought.

My understanding of the plot and the actual plot are two different things.  I believed that it was a love story between a man and a married woman, narrated by a gossiping crowd.  Apparently, it was actually about the many affairs of Anne-Marie, narrated by who the hell knows.

I suppose people will say it is a beautiful film, regardless of the confusing plot.  I guess there were a few landscape shots that were aesthetically pleasing, but what about all the dull scenes we had to endure?  For some reason,  Anne-Marie lies on the floor for five minutes and is joined by two shirtless men.  I wasn't stunned by the cinematography; I just felt mounting frustrating from not knowing what was going on.  I felt like a toddler that throws a tantrum because she can't button her coat by herself.

Definitely a miss but at least I made it through.  The couple next to me at the ballet had to leave halfway because they couldn't take it anymore.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Set in India, but shot outside of Paris.

1 comment:

  1. You are not the only one who easily get frustrated with dancing performances...
    This one was painful to get through on every level. We are all toddlers watching this one.
    The only thing I liked was the scoring and even that grew old eventually.

    ReplyDelete