Saturday, September 19, 2015

592. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
1975
Directed by Chantal Akerman








Okay, I HAVE to bitch about the running time.  You knew this was coming!  How could I not?  It is three hours and forty five minutes.  I know this is because we are supposed to feel how mundane her life along with her.  But I was bored by the twenty minute mark!  The mission was accomplished fairly early; did I really have to sit there for four hours?

Jeanne Dielman has a very boring routine.  She runs errands and cooks meals for her son.  She also makes some money on the side by being a prostitute.  Belle de Jour anyone?  The film takes place over the course of three days.  But I assure you, it feels like one hundred years.

I don't mean to be too harsh.  I felt this movie, saw the beauty in it, and am glad that I watched it.  But four hours is a damn long time.  I have seen this praised as a feminist piece.  That confuses me a little.  I assume they are referring to the ending, which I won't reveal on here.  Is it because she finally took control?  I wouldn't exactly call her a role model...

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Jeanne Dielman's ritualistic routine was inspired by the director's own mother.

1 comment:

  1. I think the feminist element is that we learn the hard way how mindbogglingly boring and miserable life as a housewife is, combined with the whore/Madonna image, and that she cracks up from this life. In this sense it is a clever movie, but dammit it is boring!

    ReplyDelete