Wednesday, July 2, 2014

481. Faces

Faces
1968
Directed by John Cassavetes















After traveling through film to quite a few different countries, we finally land in Pretentiousguay.  Watching a film that was desperately trying to be a Godard for over two hours was absolutely exhausting.

A middle-aged couple's marriage is clearly disintegrating and we have to watch them awkwardly interact with other people.  An alternate title for this was "Every Dinner Party I Have Ever Attended".

I believe that if you are going to use the cinema verite style, your movie should not be over two hours.  I mean, that gets a little dull for even the most exciting films.  I even love to listen to dialogue, but none of it was that compelling.  I just wanted to tell everyone to shut up and let the lawyers do their thing.

Just incredibly dull and boring.  Skip it!

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Steve Buscemi's favorite film.



4 comments:

  1. You know, I know I've seen it, but I've forgotten everything about it...so no comment.. other than.."I've seen it and forgotten everything about it"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I am going to forget everything about this film very shortly.

      Delete
  2. I thought I was the only one who did not like this one much. I get so tired of the non-sensical ramblings of these unlikable and selfish characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was more or less OK with the style at the beginning, but was glancing at the clock thinking "130 minutes, eh?"

    Once he dropped the divorce bombshell and I had confidence that it was going to follow a narrative path I was much happier and enjoyed it more thereafter. The way everyone switched from passive to aggressive and back again was a bit too odd though.

    ReplyDelete