Sunday, November 25, 2012

242. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man
1952
Directed by John Ford












A classic John Wayne movie in…..IRELAND????

You read that right, folks!  In this film, John Wayne stars as Sean Thornton who falls in love with Mary Kate, a fiery red head.  Every one said that her character had a temper to match his but she seemed like a pretty weak woman to me.  Anyway, her brother does not want her to get married.  Does that stop John Wayne from marrying her?  No sir!  Does that stop John Wayne from hitting her and throwing her sometimes?  No sir!

So obviously, this film is a bit outdated.  First of all, if my brother told me not to marry someone, I would simply say fuck you, and carry on with my business.   There are also some notable cringe worthy moments, particularly in the way that John Wayne treats Maureen O'Hara.

Still, it is a decent romance complete with brawls and drinking.  So an Irish romance. Just kidding!  Oh wait, it is.

Decent but not really 1001 worthy.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

The movie Rio Grande was done so that Wayne, O'Hara, and Ford would have permission to do this film.

O'Hara broke her hand slapping Wayne but couldn't wear a cast because of filming.

Wayne and Ford put manure on the hill that O'Hara got dragged through.  EWWWWWWWW!


7 comments:

  1. Perhaps it will help to know that John Ford's birth name was John Martin Feeney, and his parents were both born in and around County Galway, Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really interesting. I prefer his films that take place in America though. Alas, another bias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow do I dislike this film
    I don't like John Wayne movies full stop*, but this one? A special lower circle of hell should await it.
    If this was made today, every Irish group anywhere would be protesting about the stereotyping of "we are Oirish, so lets get drunk and hit each other". In my reply to this in Andrew's I called the fighting like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. You can spend all day hitting someone, and they just get back up for more. And this is funny?

    * There are two John Wayne films I have time for.. 'The Shootist', and 'The man who shot Liberty Vallence' Maybe I will come to those at some other time
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that Tom and Jerry comparison is hilarious! I too love The Man Who Shout Liberty Valance. How do you feel about Stagecoach or The Searchers? I will have to check out The Shootist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually perceived it the other way round between Wayne and O'Hara. She is absolutely impossible and completely unreasonable (alas a woman) and I have no idea what Sean wants to do with her. Not my favourite movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear this movie referenced a lot more than it deserves.

      Delete
  6. This brought back bad memories of How Dull Was My Movie, only this time instead of the Welsh being viciously patronised with cliches it's the Irish. Still, they had it coming to them, I suppose.

    Obviously quite un-PC, but I feel there is little to be learnt by getting upset by another era's version of chivalry.

    I keep meaning to mention this, but aren't safety matches the worst invention ever? Isn't it wonderful in all these old movies to see the million different things that old matches could be lit against?

    ReplyDelete