Saturday, November 3, 2012

222. On The Town

On The Town
1949
Directed by Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly











This screenshot itself should be enough to tell that this movie is awesome.  I mean, come on!  How can you not love a movie where the tourists are pointing away from the sights?

So everyone says that this film is about three sailors who have less than twenty four hours to get laid in New York City.  I prefer to take their words at face value and believe that they are simply looking for romance.  For instance, whenever Frank Sinatra and the taxi driver finally are alone after they get the wacky roommate out of the apartment, they turn to each other and hug and the camera fades out.  I believe that is far as they went that night.  Don't burst my Gene Kelly musical bubble!

Anyway, this film is a delight, pure and simple.  As proof, I will post my favorite musical number:
Okay, if you don't want to watch this movie right now, I have either failed or you are heartless.  Great musical numbers, relentless cheerfulness, and Gene Kelly!  Who could ask for anything more?

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

First musical to be filmed on location.


6 comments:

  1. When Betty Garret turned around and said "A lady cab driver??" I couldn't stop laughing. That was priceless.

    I didn't think the songs were so great. But I loved how aggressive the women were. It was nice to see in a movie from 1949 that wasn't a film noir. We've been seeing women make moves, but only when they were going to frame someone for murder or something awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good point! Yeah, I can't remember a single song from this movie but I know I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Really Amanda, not one song sticks?
    You know how i generaly hate musicals.. but even I couldn't see this movie even mentioned without starting to sing "New York new yor It's a hell of a town.. The Bronx is up and the battery down"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sinatra is always good. I probably should give this movie a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, you confound me at every turn. Just when I think I know what you're going to like and not like, you blog the opposite.

    I thought this was everything that people who hate musicals hate. The cast were very likeable though, except Sinatra who always looked uncomfortable and like he wanted to have a long talk with his agent about what sort of roles he was being put forward for. And I won't hear a word against the Main Street routine, which was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray we will never agree on any aspects of musicals. And I can't help it; Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra make me relentlessly cheerful.

    ReplyDelete