Saturday, November 3, 2012

220. A Reckless Moment

A Reckless Moment
1949
Directed by Max Ophuls










Film noir has never been the most unique genre out there.  There is a strict formula that most movies adhere to, which makes constant viewings of these films a bit tedious.  However, this one was noir with a twist of the "whaaaaaattt????" factor that made it quite worth the watch.

The plot of this movie is a bit complicated and I fear that what I say will spoil it for you.  Suffice to say, a blackmailer falls in love with a blackmailee (just made up that word; deal with it) and and attempts to stop the blackmailing process.  Well, the other blackmailer will have nothing of that.  Hilarity ensues.  Just kidding, it is actually pretty gruesome.

Anyway, this movie is worth watching if only for analyzing each character and their motivations.  First of all,  James Mason, the guy who plays the enamored blackmailer, is a puzzle.  They really give no reason for him to fall in love with Joan Bennett.  Did he just think he was in love because subconsciously he was not a bad guy and wanted to back out of the plan?  And Joan Bennett.  Was she actually in love or was she manipulating him?  According to film noir laws, probably the latter because all women are bitches in that genre.

The film leaves these questions quite open ended and it is pretty much up to you to decide.  I would like to discuss my opinion with someone but if I met anyone I knew who had seen this movie I would drop dead of shock.  Check it out.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The producer, Walter Wanger, and Joan Bennett were married from 1940 until 1965.  In 1951, Wanger shot Bennett's manager because he thought they were having an affair.  And they didn't get divorced until 1965?!?!


2 comments:

  1. Dearie me, there are some lame film titles on the list at the moment

    I'm not sure that this really works as a whole, but I like what they were trying to do and it has some good aspects so I'll think of it kindly.

    James Mason's Irish accent has improved slightly from Odd Man Out, mainly because we're not supposed to think he's from Belfast.

    In answer to your question, I don't think that she was in love with him in a Hollywood movie sense and certainly wasn't manipulating him. For the film to be interesting, I think we have to see his love as a reflection of his own evolving attitudes towards his life of crime rather than that she was the Princess who tamed him. I think that she recognised what he had done for her and that he wasn't a bad person deep down. For this she had an affection towards him, but not romantically so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting take, Dessie! I even accept your diss at Odd Man Out.

      Delete