Monday, June 15, 2015

550. The Godfather

The Godfather
1972
Directed by Francis Ford Coppola













I am hesitant to write this review since this film is obviously a masterpiece.  Everything that could be said about it probably has been and I am sure scores of film buffs have written essays on it.  I will be as brief as usual and will do my best to not ruin your favorite movie, as many of you have accused me of doing.

Is it necessary to provide a plot description?  The story focuses on the transformation of Michael Corleone who goes from being kind of a dick who doesn't approve of the family business to dick who runs the family business.  I actually read the novel and the movie is a pretty faithful adaption.  Although I suppose the book spends a lot more time talking about Sonny's gigantic penis.

Like I said, what else can you say about the most critically acclaimed film of all time?  It's rare that a movie that has been hyped up so much doesn't disappoint.  Every actor is perfect for their role, every scene moves the story forward, and nearly every line is quotable.  I just wished we had discussed Lucy Mancini's wideset vagina more.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

In the scene when Vito Corleone is carried upstairs, Marlon Brando put weights on his body as a prank.    This doesn't seem so funny now we know he gains somewhere around a thousand pounds in the coming years.

Body count of 18.

Trailer:




3 comments:

  1. This is an excellent movie and I know many people who will watch it anytime they find it channel surfing, or walking by a tv where someone else is watching it. I have find myself doing that a few times, too. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you say, what else can you say..
    Such a giant film.. and one I think is good and well worth rewatching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe I always avoided this one? Monster movies usually leaves me cold, but as you write, Godfather is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete