Thursday, June 4, 2015

542. The Heartbreak Kid

The Heartbreak Kid
1972
Directed by Elaine May

I love seeing a female director on The List.  Of course, I hated this movie but still, a nice change.

Lenny Canthrow marries Lila, who starts to get on his nerves as soon as they say "I do."  On their honeymoon, Lenny meets Kelly, who is bitchy and unattainable enough to get his attention.  Apparently, Lila deserves to be cheated on, because, hey, she is annoying.

Damn, did I find this movie depressing.  Perhaps I am just bitter and single, but I spent the whole time feeling sorry for the spurned bride.  Yes, she was obnoxious but we all have habits other people would find annoying.  After she was married, she believed that she could put her walls down and be herself, but her husband had already moved on to his "shiksa."  I know the main characters weren't supposed to be particularly sympathetic, but the level of loathing they invoked in me was such that I couldn't even laugh at their ridiculous escapades. 

This was too dark to be a comedy but too absurd to be anything else.  Poor Lila just wanted to know if she was any good at sex.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Anybody have thoughts on the Ben Stiller remake?

The screenplay was written by Neil Simon.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I really, really cannot remeber this one at all...
    according to my list i saw it seot 2013, which is not that long ago.
    perhaps enough said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit too mean-spirited to make me forget about it entirely.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, a comedy is not really fun when you loath the protagonist. The highlight for me was his talks with the father in law. I hoped so much he would punch him in the face.
    I much preferred A New Leaf. If you have not seen I strongly recommend it. This is a far better May comedy

    ReplyDelete