Wednesday, June 3, 2015

539. The Last Picture Show

The Last Picture Show
1971
Directed by Peter Bogdanovich











This is another film that wasn't really made for me.  It seems like something that people who had a hard time saying goodbye to the fifties would enjoy.  I wasn't born during the fifties, I wasn't even close.  And well this doesn't seem to have an impact on me for other movies, it definitely felt like it was a problem this time.  Consequently, I was incredibly bored.

Two high school seniors live in a small town.  One is having an affair with his football coach's wife and the other is dating the most attractive girl in school.  Not a lot seems to happen during this film and I think that is why the characters suffer so much.  Nothing happens in their town; the only interesting thing to do is have sex.

Unfortunately, I was just as bored as the residents of this town.  There is no doubt that it is a beautiful film; it was extremely well acted and looked great.  But still kind of a snooze.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Cybill Shepherd's first film.  And last...right?

Orson Welles encouraged Bogdanovich to shoot in black and white.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose the dullness is what this movie was about. The quiet desperation to get some content in life, rather than the emptiness in store for everybody involved. So, if it bored your brains out, it had managed to get its message across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with TS on his comment - surprised and disappointed I hadn't commented on his one before, making the same point..

    ReplyDelete