Monday, November 28, 2011

104. Captains Courageous

Captains Courageous
1937

1937 has arrived!  Only 70 more years to go!


I am a huge fan of seafaring adventures.  I also love Spencer Tracy so I was really looking forward to this film.  The plot is very similar to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in that a bratty kid learns about camaraderie and sailing.  Harvey, the boy pictured above, is a great character. Bartholomew does not overly cute up the role and actually matches Tracy's screen presence.


What is also refreshing about this movie is that Tracy plays a Portuguese sailor without being offensive about it!  I am becoming used to black face and people getting "yellowed up", unfortunately.  Great film, great plot developments, and great character developments.  Who could ask for anything more (I also have daisies in green pastures!)?!


RATING: *****


Interesting Facts:


Lionel Barrymore is in this.  He is Drew Barrymore's great uncle!

Tracy didn't want to take on the role originally because he didn't want to sing or have curly hair.  Joan Crawford called him Harpo Marx.


The Oscar Tracy won was inscribed to Dick Tracy.


Does anyone else think Jason Segel and Spencer Tracy are twins?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, this is a great movie and one I would happily watch again. Tracy was awesome here, his best ever. I had no problem with him supposed to be Portuguese.
    My only problem with the movie is that I would be concerned actually showing it to children. This is not Disney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really remember...what would be objectionable for kids?

      Delete
  2. The whole idea of Manuel dying after he has become the boys best friend may be difficult to cope with

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that the legendary Lionel Barrymore is reduced to being identified as Drew Barrymore's great-uncle. What times we have fallen upon!

    I think this is OK to show to children, depending upon the child and how you go about it. Better that they learn about death through a film or the tragic demise of a family hamster than wait until someone really important goes one day and they're unprepared for it.

    Meanwhile, back on the film for a moment... I thought it was very good. I don't approve of inter-race casting, but Tracy did it very well so I'll let it slide. Interesting that the ending carried on for about ten minutes whereas most films of this era rush in a "The End" caption a few seconds after the final climax.

    ReplyDelete