Tuesday, November 8, 2011

90. A Night at the Opera

A Night at the Opera
1935

I am forcing myself to write this post because I really just want to curl up in my blankets and sleep until V is for Vengeance comes out.  A slightly unrealistic plan, so I decided to blog instead.


The Marx Brothers are really not funny anymore.  This is a shame because the types of jokes Groucho tell seem like my sense of humor but they are so dated .  However, I did like this movie a lot more than  Duck Soup.  This was their first movie with MGM so they had to tone down their jokes a bit.  I feel bad liking their "safe" jokes better than their risque ones.  In this movie, though, they had to rely on sarcastic wisecracks more than outrageous characters which is why I think they improved.


So still not humorous but not unbearable.  Which I guess is all you can ask for in a comedy...


RATING: **---


Interesting Facts:


Number 85 in AFI's top 100 movies.  I love movies, but their list is just the worst!


No Zeppo!


Sam Wood, the director, could not get Groucho Marx to say a line like he wanted.  Wood finally said "I guess you make an actor out of clay."  Marx responded "Nor a director out of Wood."  That is solid.
od."

2 comments:

  1. You may wonder about this swarm of comments. I am sitting in on a super boring five hour online presentation and reading your reviews are so much more interesting.
    I agree this one is better than Duck Soup. I even liked some of the stunts, such as the overcrowded ship cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am glad it drove you here! Five hours is brutal.

      Delete