Monday, November 28, 2011

99. Camille

Camille
1936

As soon as I started to read the Netflix envelope, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.


Firstly, this film was based off of a Alexander Dumas story.  I love Dumas (Count of Monte Cristo is one of the best novels of all time) so I was really excited.  Then I realized that this movie has basically the same plot line as my favorite film, Moulin Rouge!.  Needless to say, I almost wet myself.


This movie is about a courtesan who falls in love.  She is also dying of tuberculosis.  The fact that I was comparing this to Baz Luhrmann's story did it a great disservice.  I never think Garbo has that great of love stories.  She has such an amazing screen presence that I don't think there is room for anyone else.  Still, this is a really great movie that is packed with emotions.  I love movies that you can reflect on for days.  I recently saw Philadelphia and I am still thinking about it.  Worth a watch.


RATING: ****-


Interesting Facts:


Alexander Dumas based this film on Marguerite, a woman he had an affair with who died when she was twenty-three.  AWWW!

Garbo's favorite of her films.

Trailer:


5 comments:

  1. Garbo always owns her movies. I found a box set with six of her movie and she owned them all. Sadly for me this was the poorest of them, but that was not Garbo's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me see... Anna Karenina, Mata Hari, Ninotcka, queen Christina and one more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I might have to watch the Anna Karenina.

      Delete
  3. It felt like the right actress in the wrong movie

    ReplyDelete