Tuesday, November 1, 2011

86. It Happened One Night

It Happened One Night
1934


Pretend that my computer isn't freaking out right now and that you see a picture of Clark Gable topless!
Um, no it didn't.  It happened over many nights.  FLAW!  Wow, that was lame.  I just want to go sleep.


Finally!  A film people have heard about.  Maybe now we can get some discussions going in the comments sections...hint, hint.   I actually haven't seen this film in a couple of years but I remember liking it.  I also remember falling asleep to it, but I don't think that was anything personal.  This movie features a plot that has been done 5,000 times since (4, 990 of those being done by Katherine Heigl) but it still is fresh with its witty dialogue. I swoon every time Clark Gable is even mentioned and he is in all his hunky glory in this film.


 This movie is centered around Claudette Colbert, who plays a rich heiress that ran away from home.  Clark Gable (*bites lip*) is a savvy journalist.  He is using her for a story and she is using him to escape.  These two just cannot get along; they could never end up...FALLING IN LOVE????!!!!


This is one of three films to win Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Screenplay, and Best Director.   It certainly deserves every single one.


RATING: *****


Interesting Facts:


Several actors turned down the various roles because they were sure the film would fail.  Embarrassing!


On the first day of filming Clark Gable said "let's get this over with."  Have a little confidence, guys.


Won every single Oscar it was nominated for.


Trailer:

5 comments:

  1. I can add another anectdote.
    Colbert apparently thought the movie sucked so bad she did not want to go to the Oscar show. Good for her somebody got her to change her mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I wonder why she thought it was so bad? It had Clark Gable!

      Delete
  2. Amanda. I'm always slightly surprised you 'have a thing for' Gable.. He seems such a smug smooth creep, stereotype ladies man / co-respondent type. Is it the 'tache?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think it might be the stache. I think I fell in love with him in Gone With the Wind when Scarlett throws the vase and he sits up. Since then it's been a rocky romance, since he is such a cad.

      Delete