Saturday, October 19, 2013

400. 8 1/2

8 1/2
1963
Directed by Federico Fellini








400!!

It is not hard for me to believe I have watched 400 movies.  In fact, I have probably seen about 830 of the films in The Book.  However, I find it crazy that I have written 400 reviews.  And people (granted not a lot of people) actually want to read them?  Totally insane.

Unfortunately, we must kick off the 400s with this boring as hell film.  This is, I believe, the fifth Fellini film I have reviewed and my complaint has always been the sad: dull, dull, dull.  Sorry I don't have more insightful views on the movies but hey, give me break: it is hard to be original 400 times.

This is the story of Guido Anselmi, a filmmaker who is suffering from…film block?  Whatever the director version of writer's block is.  The movie is comprised of almost surreal flashbacks which makes it kind of hard to follow along.  At least, hard to follow along when you keep falling asleep in the middle of it which is what kept happening with me.

I had seen the remake of this film, Nine, and wasn't that impressed. Although at least that version had some great actresses, whereas in this movie the acting was only subpar.

Overall, I don't think Fellini will ever impress me.  Just think, you only have to hear me complain about boring directors 601 times.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Federico Fellini attached a note that said "Remember this is a comedy" on his camera.  Yeah it was really laughs aplenty…

Fellini's favorite film.  Not only of his own work, but of anyone's work.  Take it down a notch, Fellini.  You are not that great!

3 comments:

  1. I think he really wanted to make a comedy. There were elements here to make a great comedy. But Fellini just gets stuck in his nave-gazing and cannot make it funny.
    I did like it better than you did, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got enjoyment out of this! I don't think I have ever liked a Fellini film.

    ReplyDelete