Wednesday, September 25, 2013

388. To Kill A Mockingbird

To Kill A Mockingbird
1962
Directed by Robert Mulligan










I think everyone in the United States was forced to read this book in high school and some of us were even forced to watch this movie in class.  I enjoyed the book while I was reading it, but it never left too much of an impression on me.  However, this is a great movie and one of the rare cases where I enjoyed a movie more than the book.

This is probably due to Gregory Peck, who gives a great performance as Atticus Finch.  I will say there is a fair amount of cheese in this movie, but that is to be expected in a film that has children as the main characters.

I am not even bothering with a plot summary here, partly because everyone has read this book and partly because I have to leave soon.

One more thing before I go: I always thought the book could have been trimmed down a bit and I think the movie does a great job of keeping the pace interesting.  Definitely a great movie; wish we could see more of Robert Mulligan.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

James Stewart turned down the role of Atticus, thinking the film was too left wing and therefore too controversial.

AFI voted Atticus Finch as the best screen hero of the last 100 years.

Debut of Robert Duvall.


2 comments:

  1. Difficult to disagree on this one. Since I am not a US citizen I never read the book and the story was therefore a nice surprise for me. Didn't mind the children at all. Just happy I do not live in Alabama.

    ReplyDelete