Sunday, February 17, 2013

287. Bad Day at Black Rock

Bad Day at Black Rock
1955
Directed by John Sturges










This is a really interesting film; unfortunately, most of my interest comes from the ending, so I can't explain fully why I like it so much without there being major spoilers.  So I will content myself with saying what I can, and you can see it for yourself to understand what makes it such a great movie.

Spencer Tracy, a one armed man, comes to town but the people of the town are openly hostile to him.  Why?  Watch and find out!

This is a great mystery that keeps you guessing until the end.  The ending is a shocker and actually quite relevant to today, but again, no spoilers. Spencer Tracy is a great hero, he can be righteous without being annoying.

I realize this review kind of sucks but this movie is strongly recommended.  Trust me!  When have I ever steered you wrong?  Second thought, don't answer that.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

One of the most frequently watched films in the White House.

The main character was originally not going to have a disability.  However, the studio wanted Spencer Tracy and figured that no actor could resist playing a handicapped character.

Spencer Tracy originally wanted to back out of the film.  The studio told him that Alan Ladd would replace him and he agreed to do the project.

6 comments:

  1. That's so true what you said about Tracy. Now that I think about it his character so could have been holier than thou but he really wasn't. I love the trivia that they knew he wouldn't be able to resist haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Sorry for the shitty review!

      Delete
  2. Hi to both of you .. Thanks for dragging this one up from the vaukts .. Great film, loved it also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto from me. I love this movie from start to, yeah, the awesome finish. This movie is so compact and so dense you can cut it with a knife. This is not a movie you say much about without spoilers, so no worries about the review.

    ReplyDelete